Sunday, October 30, 2005

Ever Wonder Why?


Had another one of those moments today. Busy with whatever business I've built into my life. Going about from one place to another tending to my routine when it hits me again. WOW. This place is amazing! It's incredible! I'm truly at a loss to give a description that does any real justice to the majesty of this place. So I don't. I just stand there.....and....WOW! It seems to hit, this feeling, in any number of different places. More than a couple times I've stood on the white sands of some shore and just gazed. At the sand, at the sky (day or night), at the waves, at the birds, the crabs, the fish. It's all so truly amazing! It's all so humbling. Today of course was not a beach day (most unfortunately). Sometimes it hits me even in the suburbs or the city. Amazement at the work of God's hand, at the works of man's hand. It kinda has a way of putting you in your place "many men have stood like I am, gazing out and wishing for someone" - Richard Ashcroft. That even coming from the mouth of a confessed agnostic points us to the greater truth. It points to the role that all of reality, all that is, all that has been and ever will be unashamedly speaks of another, of some One. It reminds me of a Bible study I attended during my early college years. The leader of the study Jerry, would regularly say how often when he wakes up in the morning he finds himself struck with amazement, "it's still here!!" he would say. I often feel the same way myself. But why? I know our purpose is to glorify God, but even when I consciously and deliberately set in my heart not to do that. I mean sit down, think an issue through, think to myself "well God's will is clearly that I......" and premeditatedly choose option 'B'. I still wake-up the next morning, I'm as alive as ever. Why?? Why this? Why creation? Why joy? Why pain? Why that seagull flying over my head? Why the buildings, the cars, the lady crossing the street? Why? There's one thing I'm sure of, and that's the fact that I don't have anything to add to a discussion on such things. All I can say is that the Someone this all points to wanted it this way. He chose it. And the thought of it is staggering in how it humbles me. Who am I that I should even exist let alone be the object of this Someone's love. WOW!

1 Comments:

Blogger goodnight moon said...

I do wonder why...all the time...it used to only hit me when faced with the majestic outdoors in some remote place...but more and more it's everywhere, even the "ugly" places. Nice post. I'll add you to my blogroll...so keep it up!

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home