Thursday, November 03, 2005

Album Review


One of the things I wanted to do w/ this blog (which is 1 week old today :) ) is to be able to write an occasional album review. Now I don't claim to really know all that much about music, can't read it or write it, just a fan.
Depeche Mode has always been one of those borderline "guilty pleasure" bands for me. I think they are a great band, while at the same time their sound is a bit....well... It's hard to describe. Let's just say that it often reminds me of the Saturday Night Live sketch 'Sprockets' "now is the time on Sprockets when we dance!!" Anytime I mention Depeche Mode favorably to someone, I half expect them to laugh at me, and they sometimes do.
Depeche Mode, veterans of the electronic/new wave/alternative scene, have been at it for 25 some odd years now. October 18th saw the release of their 12th (not including compilations) album 'Playing the Angel'. 'Playing the Angel' sees Depeche Mode returning again to the sound that made them one of the biggest acts in the world at the turn of the '90s. It is quintessential Depeche Mode, M. Gore's catchy songs sung by the piercing voice of D. Gahan. I've had the album for about a week, enough time to get a fairly good feel for it. The lead single "Precious" amongst others stands out as the better tracks. The other track scheduled for release is "John the Revelator" where the band continues their tradition of attacking Christianity, in this case calling John a liar who "is stealing a God" from the Israelite, and the Muslim & who should "hang his head in shame". The 3rd track "Suffer Well" is one of a number of better tracks on the album along w/ "I want it All", "Nothing's Impossible", and "The Darkest Star". Overall, this is Depeche Mode's best work since 'Violator' and I'd give it a rating of 8 out of 10. A solid purchase for any Depeche Mode fan, or anyone interested in trying the band out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home