Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Is This Good For the Company?

About 5:00 yesterday afternoon I was taking a brief break at work before my 6:00 shift that night. I didn't have enough time to justify a drive home so I went out and sat in my car and put in one of my favorite albums looking to make the most of my time off. Just about that time I received a phone call. It was from a lady with whom I had had a few phone conversations over the course of the past week or so. She informed me that she had good news and bad news then asked which I wanted to hear first. I of course said give me the bad news.

Her name is Tammy and she works in the H.R. dept at Raymond James a financial firm based in St. Pete. I had first heard from her last week as she called to set me up to interview for a position in their customer service dept. The job consists of serving as a go-between for the corporate office and their branches throughout the country. I would be answering phones and adjusting accounts as need be as well as working to resolve any questions the branches may have regarding said accounts.

Well the bad news, as it turns out, is that I wasn't offered that position. There is of course still the good news to address.

When I interviewed for the position the previous week the process began by taking a general aptitude test, basically an IQ test. Now as some may know I kind of like taking those types of tests and have tended to score fairly well on them in the past. I typically look forward to placement tests, unless they involve Hebrew of course. I took the ACT for college having been out of school for a couple years and having only studied for a maximum of 45 minutes and I promptly earned a scholarship for my first semester of college. So apparently when I took this test before my interview I tested quite well, I even heard that the phrase "off the charts" was used, for another position in the company. Tammy called me the day after my interview and asked of I would be interested in interviewing for this other position, and of course I was. So I came in and interviewed for it on Monday. As it turns out the good news she brought me yesterday was that I had been offered the position. I of course accepted.

This position deals with portfolios Sr. Portfolio Manager is the title. It pays a little better than the one I had previously applied for and sounds a whole lot more interesting to me.

For those who may be wondering why I titled this post as I did. Well, just watch Office Space again. I don't feel like I took a job at Inetech, but I can't help but reference the film at a time like this. I'm thankful that the Lord has given me favor in my pursuit of a job and I'm thankful to have had a credible friend working for me on the inside, Jeremy. Besides I needed to put some kind of a post on my blog or else Denise might consider removing the link from her blog.

3 Comments:

Blogger goodnight moon said...

haha. i was just about to give ya the boot too. just kiddin. so i guess there really was something to all that bragging of yours about your IQ. it's good to know that all this hard work at school doesn't really mean anything in the real world. =)

congrats!

11:25 PM  
Blogger Autobahn said...

What I didn't mention is that I promptly lost the scholarship I earned in college. I hope that trend doesn't continue. Hopefully I'll find more inspiration for future posts.

12:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome sauce!

you, annoying cousin, are like the grand majority of my male relatives---everyone knows they've got a rather large brain, and tons of brainpower, but the motivation for some reason tends to lag. but maybe portfolios will do the trick! hurrah!

hope to catch you soons

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home